Orthodontics is not just for children and teens. In fact, 1 in every 4 patients in orthodontic treatment is an adult.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for many of the same reasons as children. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children but were unable to correct them until now. Others, who had treatment as children, may need further treatment as adults due to relapse or limitations in initial treatment.
Benefits of Treatment
In addition to the obvious cosmetic benefits (a beautiful smile), orthodontic treatment can also:
- Correct relapse after previous orthodontic treatment due to lack of long term retainer wear
- Improve the ability to brush and floss, especially for crowded or overlapping lower front teeth
- Create a better or more comfortable bite and ability to chew
- Address missing teeth
- Close spaces between the teeth
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or a poor bite
- Jaw surgery to correct a discrepancy between the upper and lower jaws.
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are concerned with the appearance of braces. Often, Invisalign® (The invisible alternative to braces) can be used to treat adults. This technology involves clear removable aligners, fabricated through advanced 3-D imaging to align the teeth. We also have the option of clear ceramic brackets instead of the traditional metal brackets.
Adults undergoing orthodontic treatment typically report the same level of soreness as children do. Typically, the teeth are most sore 12-24 hours after an orthodontic adjustment and the soreness disappears within 3 to 4 days. Modern appliances are smaller and more comfortable to wear. In addition, modern techniques including new titanium technology put less pressure on the teeth to cause discomfort, while moving the teeth more rapidly and efficiently. It also decreases the time required between adjustments to every 6 – 8 weeks.
Dr. Chadwell has treated individuals in their 50’s, 60’s and even their 70’s. At Chadwell Orthodontics, we believe you are never to old to have the smile your have always wanted!